Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Growing up (@ Toa Payoh Lor 1 Blk 202) pt 2

Left off talking about Grandma this morning. Shall continue.

Well, the matter of fact is, i really am not sure where she is, i can only find out when my time is at it's end, and my new life begins spending eternity with God.

Got distracted. Rag and bone man came by, sold my tv for $5 bucks. Hmm, k, let's talked about TV then. Started watching all the chinese zombies shows. I remembered, i would watch it alone at night, I think my sisters are at my aunt's house, and with only one light on. Mum always praised me for being brave, well, she has no idea how scared I was.

Sometimes i don't get to watch anything because electricity at home got cut off.. We had to use the bathroom or toilet with a small candle. My sisters worked hard to finish their homework, with the amount of candle light they could have, and the huge amount of disturbance from me.

I recalled seeing my sisters with different guy friends, and they just hated me because i would tell my mum everything.. I would tell my dad too, and lots of times, these tatter tales got the whole family into a massive quarrel. Soon, i came up with a strategy for not saying anything. If anyone asked me, i would simply reply, "I don't know".

I remembered at this time, i was really curious with the drinking and smoking habits of my parents. Mum don't smoke, dad does, but she drinks a lot. And she always poured the beer purposely in such a way that it would form more foam for me to drink. Stole Dad's cigarettes and took a puff or two, choke myself, and got caught, got scolding..

There was one occasion, Dad bought a strong chinese wine brew, those that you can only take a sip at a time. He placed the small cup near the edge and went to the toilet. When he came out from the toilet, he was shocked to find me squatting there in a daze. He called me apparently, but i did not response. He carried me out and found out that i drank that cup of brew. I really can't remember what happened after that.

You might have thought since now i am older, I would be less accident prone. Not really. Whenever mum put me on the bed, the next thing she realised when she left the room, i'm on the floor. She pushed the bed towards the wall, and did the same thing to me. The next thing she knew, my head is against the wall.. I somehow had managed to do super roll on the bed and just bumped my head whenever and wherever.. So in the end, we slept on top of the mattress on the floor. She placed me inside so i would not roll out onto the floor.

On two occasions, I got lost. Once it was in the Lorong 1 market. Usually, when I am distracted (which i always was and still am), you have to make sure i look at you and get my confirmation to know I am listening. Well, i guessed at that point, mum didn't know how distracted I was. She apparently gave me instructions to stay outside the shop while she goes inside to talk to the shop keeper about a sewing book she wants to purchase. And guess what? After a while, i started looking around for mum after i got bored with whatever was outside at that time. And i could not find her!

I remembered crying and walking home on my own. I had to cross 2 small streets, and a main road before reaching home. Mum was worried as well as angry, but she just hugged me and told me not to give her heart attack like that again.

On the other occasion, we were at Toa Payoh Central. Which means, we had to take a feeder bus from Lorong 1 to Central. We went to the Popular bookstore above KFC, and mum left me at the children's section and TOLD me to WAIT for her. But guess what, yup, i was already distracted by the comics.. Didnt hear the wait for her part.. And so i began reading, and since the books were so full of words and little pictures, i got bored again. I looked up and around. And started getting worried, looked around somemore and when I could not find my mum. I started making my way home again. I went to the bus interchange. Asked a man for ten cents so i could call home, and cried to dad saying i am lost. Then i went to the feeder bus berth and waited. I remembered there were two feeder buses I could take, and i knew the white one would take me to the direct bus stop without having to cross the road, so i took that one. When i got aboard, i cried to the bus uncle explaining i lost my mummy but i knew how to get home. So, the uncle asked me to stand beside him and point out where to let me off.

And so, i did reached home safely. And soon, mum called home and dad told her everything. When mum came back, she took of one of her sandals and flinged it across the room while charging towards me with the other one and started smacking my bottom. Dad defended me saying I was still in shocked and all that, but mum didn't care, because this time round, her anger is more than her being worried.

As i served my usual time out with the earth god, mum told me what i told my class children 21 years down the road, "when you think you are lost, stay there!"

I started owning my house keys when I started in Primary One. Started attending CCA, one of the CCA was after school care, which lasted till about 3pm in the afternoon. We had tuition, which i dreaded the most. Playtime and cooking time! I learnt how to fry an egg, and i thought as i got home that day to prepare my dinner. I could add an egg to my noodle.

I got the wok heated way up, and didn't poured in the oil, and threw in the egg. I think you can guess what happened. Black smoke filled the house. i had charcoal coated egg for dinner with my noodles. Mum came home to the house filled with smoke and me sitting in the living room eating happily away. Needless to say, who gets the scolding and time out again? Next day, mum went to see the teacher in charge and gave her a scolding as well. That was when my teacher realised nobody takes care of me half the time and she started giving me more attention, which i really am thankful to God for. she made me helped her carry stuff around the library, treated me to lunch, and asked me questions about my family. It's teacher like her that leaves a deep impression, i remembered her name is Mrs Pang.

More exciting stories coming up...Got to rest now..

No comments:

Post a Comment